Thanks to Governor Good Hair and his cronies down in Austin our lives are about to drastically change. I don’t think I have ever blogged about politics and I am careful not to blog about my job. That being said, there is always a first time for everything.
If you are a teacher right now, you are thanking your lucky stars if your contract was renewed for next year. And I am thankful. If you are graduating with the hopes of finding a job in the education world, my prayers are with you. Today, I am ok with being 40 years old and having 18 years experience. The 40 thing is really kicking my tail as I slowly fall apart from things like Epstein Barr and a floater in my left eye that is peskier than a gnat constantly buzzing your face, but I have a job. The downside, I am probably going to be making next year close to the amount I made my first year of teaching.
It’s a waiting game. Waiting on the jackwagons in the state capitol to decide how much money they are going to take away from education. Waiting on our district to determine our budget using the drastically reduced funds made available by the jackwagons in Austin. Waiting to see if I have to go stand in line to get a Lone Star Card to feed my family. This is the new normal.
As a result of this financial crunch, I am going to learn how to be a ‘couponer’. Now, I can tell you right now, that I will never live up to the successes of those people on the new ‘extreme couponer’ show, but I can save some money. I noticed Brookshires running 12 packs of drinks on sale. I walked out spending $10.81 on 4 12-packs and saved $8.77. That put a smile on my face. I left the big blue store having used about $19 in coupons and price matching about $30 in savings. Every penny counts. This is the new normal. I did learn that a lot of store prices on sale are still about $.02 more than the big blue store’s prices when they have a rollback price in effect. This is going to be a lot of work to keep up and make sure you are getting the best deal. I am going to hone my skills this summer when I can spend hours at a time shopping and comparing. It’s the new normal.
I hate that my family is going through this. I hate that the jackwagons in Austin get to vote themselves pay raises, affordable and quality health care, etc… I hate that Governor Good Hair lives in a mansion that the taxpayers are footing the bill for…It costs more than $10,000 a month in rent, utilities and upkeep to house Perry in a five-bedroom, seven-bath mansion that has pecan-wood floors, a gourmet kitchen and three dining rooms. There are tons of other incidentals for the house that cost the taxpayers but nobody seems to care. He’s been living it up at these new digs while the real Governor’s Mansion undergoes repair from the arson that Texas’s finest can’t solve. Ok, ok, I am stopping while I am ahead. But I hate this. I hate my new normal.
What will get me through this new normal are my family, my friends, and my faith.
Oh man, I hate this...
ReplyDeleteIt peaks straight to my heart!!
We went through a very difficult 2009, and I too hated it.
I cried more tears than I thought I was capable of crying... I wished days away, fell into a depression, and wished away things like Christmas...
It was hard, and I don't want to do it again....Ever.
However, I think we learned a lot and grew as a couple. I realized things like; Lance and I spent about $1000 eating out. Ridiculous things that I could fix.
When Lance was finally able to get a job, he only made about 1/2 of what he use to... so the new normal is still not great-- but thankfully we have made it through.
I hate this for you-- because I would not wish that anxiety on anyone... but you will make it. (minus a few pair of boots!)
And hopefully this non-sense will be worked out.
Love my coupons, love my coupons, love my coupons!! Lots of great websites out there for them, too.
ReplyDeleteI despise the jackwagons. They are so out of touch with what "middle America" is going through. They have no idea that people are anxious about whether they will have a job tomorrow or if they can pay the rent or buy groceries.
I hope things turn around. At least, I have hope. And boots will be on the clearance rack soon since it's so blasted hot. Love the clearance rack when I can use my coupons!
Holly and Cristy - Thanks so much for your encouragement. I am trying to be patient and pray and know that God can take care of my family AND the jackwagons causing this mess. I couldn't even type the word 'boots' in my blog, but I love, love that you both know me so well and appreciate that it was probably the first thing that crossed my mind when we got word that our salaries would more than likely be taking a hit. I'll definitely be watching for clearance and coupons!
ReplyDeleteAmy, you hit home with me on the teacher thing. I graduated last year and didn't find an elementary teaching position then and I'm not holding my breath for this year either. It's tough, I have student loans staring me down....but so far have been fortunate enough to survive on one income. But....I really really REALLY want to teach....so we shall see.
ReplyDelete