Monday, October 8, 2012

It's the little things

Life is full of moments.  When you take inventory, some are little. Some are big.  Lately, I have been focusing on the little things.  Some make me happy.  Some make me want to scream.  Let's take inventory together.

Little things that make me smile:

  • going to Sam Moons and finding the unexpected; my black ear warmer headband with a little bling (instagram if you haven't seen it)
  • a text message from a friend at a random time that let's you know they are thinking of you
  • finally finishing Boy's Yearbook ad and falling in love with the pic.
  • setting aside my own heartbreak about not getting to go to Mt Nebo and offering our reservations to Boy's family.
  • being able to look at Juju and without words know that we are thinking the exact same thing.
  • watching Juju go all "mama bear" and set someone straight.
  • Mom's hot cocoa with a ton of marshmallows.
  • my electric blankie.
  • sharing a funny story with a former student knowing that you are just proving the fact that you might have gone crazy in your old age, but still laugh with you, not at you.
  • the idea of Hunter's graduation cruise.
  • Hubby bringing me donuts on the weekends.

Little things that make me want to scream:
  • staying up late when I KNOW I need to go to bed.
  • running out of detergent in the middle of being on a roll doing laundry.
  • teachers that think the worst of kids instead of looking for the best. (if they show you the worst, deal with it, but don't expect it all the time, geez!)
  • well meaning people telling us what to feed Dad, like the french fries, onion rings, hamburgers, tacos, pizza, pork chops, pulled pork bbq, fish, chicken strips, taco soup, potato soup, potato chowder, minestrone, corn, green beans, green peas, carrots, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, fried okra, corn bread, rolls with honey, nilla wafers, ritz crackers, peanut butter, apple fritters, baked ham, stuffing, ensure, glucerna, boost, yogurt, frozen yogurt, sherbet, ice-cream, muscle milk just weren't what he wanted... Yes. Please tell me what you think Dad needs to try and eat because I am sure that we haven't thought of it.
  • and speaking of food issues, not being able to walk away from the junk and continuing to stress eat. (um, so this one is tricky because the donuts make me smile)
Life is full of little things.  I try to focus on the ones that make me smile.  Especially the donuts. I hope at some point reading this, you smiled.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I smiled. And I really needed it at this very moment. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete