Saturday, February 4, 2012

Date night

Thanks to my fabulous friend, Francie, I was able to snag some rodeo tickets. Being on facebook at the right time paid off because my friend was offering her tickets since she moved back to Georgia (happy ending story).  Mom used to get the family tickets for Christmas each year but the White Settlement Chamber of Commerce stopped hosting White Settlement Day at the rodeo.  I have missed going these past few years and this was a welcomed night out.
I met up with Hubby at Mom and Dad’s and we headed out to the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.  The weather was perfect.  It put a little cramp in what I had planned on wearing, but I adjusted to the warmth by using a different scarf.  I was a little surprised at the crowd being so light, but it certainly made it nice not having to push through throngs of people to see everything.

We started in the exhibit hall.  I used to get so excited about the sparklies and boots and home goods but I suppose old age and common sense has taken over because I can get that stuff at Sam Moons for SO much less money.  The only purchase we were going to make was a pair of Nocona boots with the OSU brand for Hubby.  They didn't have his size.  He did get the business card and is going to wait for the new color style to come out before deciding which pair he wants. 

We wondered around outside looking for something to eat that was unique and not just a burger.  We hit the jackpot.  We came up on a giant skillet and a sign that said Cowboy Burrito.  Let’s just say delicious.  Mine was skirt steak, potatoes and cheese wrapped in a perfectly grilled flour tortilla.  Hubby got a version with jalapenos.  We found a picnic table and enjoyed the people watching while sharing our meal.  SIDENOTE: I realize that it was/is mild weather and Wednesday was particularly beautiful, but I am still a lady of seasons and I do not want to see your Daisy dukes, flip flop wearing, tank top, boobs hanging out self walking around in public in February.  It. Is. Wrong.  It could be 90 degrees out and if the calendar says February, the closest thing to summer attire you are going to see me in MIGHT be Capri pants.  I have loosened up with the whole white between Easter and Labor Day thing, but I will never think I should see tank tops and short shorts in February unless I am in Hawaii.

Rodeo.  I love it.  As soon as we were inside, Hubby was on the lookout for my cotton candy.  I declared the day the tickets came in the mail that I would be getting some cotton candy.  And boy did I. The bag was huge. Twice as big as the ones they sell walking around inside the arena.  And only $2 more. Totally worth it.  So worth it in fact that I still have some at home waiting on me to polish it off.  Now what happened next will be a source of laughter for weeks to come.  I have paid for my treat and look over to see the soda fountain and realize that all of that sugar will make me thirsty.  So on impulse I go ahead and order a diet coke.  Mistake. Big mistake. Like a 64oz mistake. The drink cost as much as the candy and was literally as big as a 2 liter and they don’t give you lids.  Hubby was laughing at me as I tried to manage to put my wallet up and carry the drink and he chivalrously took my cotton candy bag so I could manage.  If I could relive that 30 seconds, I would.  My first impulse was to justify that he might get thirsty and need a drink.  Yeah right.  He doesn’t drink cokes. Ever. Who was I kidding? Then there was the realization that most likely this mammoth cup was going to get kicked over when people tramped in front of us to get to their seats.  Have you ever sat in an arena/movie theater/ballpark when people DIDN’T ​walk in front of you a million times to get in and out of their seats?  Oh well. Too late now. I was going to have to man-up and handle this drink.

We finally made it to our seats. Our seats were awesome.  We were right beyond the curve closest to the chutes.  Six rows up. End of the row. Could not have been better. We saw the first jumps out of the chutes.  Could see the cowboys settling in on their rides. The slobber slinging off the bulls' mouth. The people behind the scenes rigging the riders. Everything was right there. I don’t know who Francie knows, but that girl had the hook up on these seats.   The opening parade of riders was awesome and I still get choked up when I see all of the men take off their hats when they round Ol’ Glory and the announcer gives his spill before we sing the national anthem.  I guess it’s the history teacher in me.  Patriotism matters.  Having faith and being American matters. At least to me.  And as a history teacher there was a bonus last night. Scott O’Grady, USAF Captain, American Hero was in the audience.  The movie “Behind Enemy Lines” is based on his experience being shot down over Bosnia and surviving 8 days before being rescued by Marines.  The audience gave him a standing ovation. The Coors company bought him a beer. And Justin Boots was hooking him up.  Pretty cool stuff for a Wednesday night date with your Hubby.  The rodeo action was awesome.  Hubby and I hooted and hollered and laughed.  It was a much needed night away from stress for both of us.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Patriotism matters. I believe being an American is a huge privilege. I remember loving the rodeo as a kid. I owe my girls another one after the disastrous one this summer. So glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cowboy burrito is AWESOME. We shared one. (because I *may* had already eaten lunch. ;)
    We have never been to the rodeo together. A few years ago a random man gave me and my friend some but our kids were tired and cranky and it was more work than it was fun!
    Glad you got a date night-- and cotton candy. (I'm not a huge fan... right until someone buys some... and then I want some!)

    ReplyDelete