Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Back to School

As a rule, I do not comment much or post details about my job, other than the fact that I love teaching. Every job has its ups and downs. Every work environment has its own dynamic, positive and negative. But as my summer winds down and teachers head back into the classroom and parents send their kiddos back to school, I want to share with you one thing you could do (if you are a parent) that would make a difference in someones life. Thank a teacher. It's simple, it's free, and it means more than you will ever know. I was attending Ia workshop yesterday and a teacher from the elementary school came up to me and introduced herself as the mom of one of my students from last year. She wanted to tell me how much her child enjoyed my class and that he often spoke of me and what we were studying at the time. That moment will be tucked away with me as I start the new year. When I hit my first bump in the year, and there will be bumps, I can pull out that compliment and remember that I do make a difference. I may not see the result of it right then, I may not ever be aware of it, but I know that it happens. A fellow teacher that was sitting next to me overheard this exchange and commented that as she was going through her desk this summer, she found a card that I had given her, as a parent, thanking her for taking the fear out of math for Boy. It had made her feel good when I gave it to her and it made me feel good and confirmed what I already knew... thanking a teacher makes a difference. So if you are reading this and your child comes home and says something positive about one of their teachers, let them know. It's simple. It's free, and it means more than you will ever know. , it's free, and it means more than you will ever know. I was attending

3 comments:

  1. I wish my kids had had teachers like you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently my cut and paste ability is questionable. Sorry about the end of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I'll be as good a teacher as you once I finally find a job!

    ReplyDelete