Monday, March 21, 2011
Spring Broke (and I need fixing)
Who wants to spend Spring Break sick in bed? Well, I didn’t WANT to, but that is basically what I got. I am mentally fighting to kick whatever this is, but my body is just a little behind my mental determination on the get up and get moving.
Seriously, Monday was spent in bed. And if memory serves me right, the majority of Tuesday was as well. The exception being the 2 hours I went to get my hair done. I could not take the gray skunk stripe down the part of my hair any longer. By the time we were finished I had enough energy to drive home and collapse in my favorite place. Bed.
Wednesday was a bear. I had scheduled 4, yep, 4 doctors/dentist appointments. I thought it was a brilliant strategy to knock them all out in one trip to Fort Worth. Yeah right! The first one was at 8:30 and the second/third were scheduled for 9:30/10:00. If you have ever been to a general practitioners office, you know the mistake I just made. My mom works for the doctor, so as a rule I don’t have to sit in the waiting area very long. Nice perk. Mom came out to greet me and shortly after I was called back. I will never turn down VIP treatment. My deepest apologies to the man who shot daggers at me as I walked back. He had checked in ahead of me and made a comment about the amount of people waiting at 8:30 in the morning. The down side is that getting back to the room quickly doesn’t necessarily translate into seeing the doctor quickly. About 9:15, I am pulling out my phone to call the dentist to tell them we will be late to my 9:30 appt but that Hunter will be on time for his 10:00 cleaning. Wait. What? Both are at 9:30? That’s not what I had written down. Yikes. But luck was on my side. Mom walked by as I am on the phone and she tells me to go to the dentist and come back for the 2 shots and blood work. Because that is something you want to look forward to for an hour while the hygienist from hell is scraping on your teeth and ramming floss into your gums over and over. But you gotta do what you gotta do. So off we went and luck be a lady. The dentisit took care of my cleaning and Hunter had the nice hygienist. The only thing Cruella d’ Hygienist did was place the spit bib around my neck. Sweet. Wait. What? I have a cracked filling? It needs to be fixed? Can’t a chick catch a break? I made sure to schedule that little trip to Disney World for the beginning of April to give myself time to mentally prepare. Or dread it. Moving on. Headed back to doctors office to drop my drawers and donate some blood. That went really well. And the last appointment was Hunter’s. He is still experiencing break outs. Much to the chagrin of his dermatologist. Another month of Acutane. I think his confidence about Hunter being totally clear is starting to wane, but he is keeping a pretty good game face. Wednesday is a half day for Mom so we scheduled a lunch with her at the Olive Garden. I made up for not having an appetite Monday and Tuesday. Soup and salad and soup and salad and salad! Home to bed.
Thursday was Girl Day. I was a trooper. It was worth it. I am a major competitive clearance shopper. I love to get things on deep discount. I am talking the $4.97 racks at JCP. The 70% and more racks at Dillard’s. I will admit to having one label fetish. Ralph Lauren. I love his stuff. It’s clean. It’s classic. It will never go out of style. My favorite pink dress, pictured earlier on this blog, is a 70% off Ralph Lauren. Other than that dress, all of my Ralph Lauren Polo collection is from Marshalls. From the clearance aisle. It must be red tagged or I won’t buy. I found the perfect long sleeve cable knit red Polo sweater. Or maybe Juju found it and handed it to me. Either way, it went home with me. Love it. It’ll look great with the city shorts and great sandals that I found at Ross. Thursday was a success. Home to bed.
Friday was another day in town filled with appointments. Juju and I took Dad to get some stitches out and check on his healing. The report was good and he goes back Wednesday for hopefully more stitches coming out. That man is a trooper and my super-hero for how well he endures the pain. My nephew, Z-man, was scheduled to have surgery on his nose. He had a little incident in Winter Guard where he caught a pole with his face, not his hands. In between these two appointments, I was scheduled to video tape a testimonial about my time with Camp CommUNITY and MCA for the 30th/60th Anniversary of these two organizations. O-M-G. I am mortified. It was like instead of having a low red blood cell count I had a low brain cell count. I couldn’t put 2 coherent sentences together if my life and the life of my family depended on it. I know the poor camera man was thinking “and you people let her facilitate programs at your camp… she’s a teacher? Poor students.” Mortified. I promise you that come time for the Awards Dinner where this is supposed to be previewed, my segments will still be lying on the cutting room floor. And I am OK with that. 20 minutes after trying to get a take, I was drenched from head to toe in sweat. Can being low on red blood cells make you stupid? If so, let’s go with that. My lack of grasping the English language and answering questions about something I have been involved in for 25 years is from low red blood cells. That’s my story and I am sticking to it. I left the interview and went straight to the hospital where Z-man was out of surgery and had only a few minutes before being sent home. We get an update on his status Monday. Home to bed.
Saturday/Sunday. My family is starting to get hungry. The food supply in the house is dwindling. I have given official orders to Hubby and Boy that if they feel starvation coming on, get in a vehicle and go to town. Sustenance is 5 miles down the road. I am in bed.
Going back to work is starting to be a real concern. Can I even sit upright for 8 hours? Trust me, there will not be any roaming the room. Teaching will occur behind the desk or behind the podium. And as soon as that final bell rings. Home to bed. Wait. What? Someone has to go buy groceries? Pizza night. Tony’s delivers.
FOOTNOTE: Hubby has taken AMAZING care of me. He waited on me hand and foot the entire week. He did laundry, he spring cleaned, and made it totally possible for Boy to go and do all the things he wanted. I am a difficult person to live with to begin with (pipe down Too Tall, no need to post all the Amens running through your head right now. I admit my faults) and if you throw being sick on top of everything, I am more high-maintenance than usual. Hubby rocked it. He deserves a million gold stars.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOL at the comment to "Too Tall"! :)
ReplyDeleteHope you get to feeling better!