Thursday, March 3, 2011

Showers of Blessings and Mercy Drops

There shall be showers of blessing:
This is the promise of love;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
Sent from the Savior above.
Showers of blessing,

Showers of blessing we need:
Mercy-drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.

Those verses come from a hymn that I can remember singing in church when I was a kid and I never understood what “mercy-drops” were. As an adult, I think “mercy-drops” are those little glimpses of light when the world seems dark around you.


It has been a while since I have blogged. I just haven’t had anything funny, snarky or worthy to post. In fact it has felt like a black cloud hanging around my head and to be honest, it hasn’t come from anything that affects me directly. First of all, I have a high school friend whose 19 year old son collapsed at his college gym while jogging. After spending 2 weeks in ICU, he has been moved to an acute care facility where he is slowly making progress. Can you imagine? A healthy 19 year old collapses and so many lives are changed forever in that instant. Today I spent the morning at a funeral for my co-worker/friend’s father who passed away from Lymphoma. He was 64. My Daddy is 70 and has been in remission from Lymphoma for 5 years. I can NOT imagine having to go through what my friend is experiencing right now. I am Daddy’s little girl. The black sheep. The one that keeps things interesting. But still his little girl. I am taking him next week to have some carcinoma removed from his head. He battles skin cancer on his head, face, and arms on a pretty regular basis. I don’t think they promoted sunscreen when he was out picking cotton, plowing soybean fields, or riding motorcycles in his youth. I love my Daddy and I want him here with me forever. (and I want my Mom forever too!)

I realized as I was trying to shake off the dark cloud, I have many blessings in my life. I should focus on those when there seems to be a lack of light. My family. I am so lucky that I have a family that is close and loves each other through thick and thin. I am blessed that my Mom still spoils us by serving Sunday Dinner at her house each week. I cherish those days and do not like to miss. It seems lately that we have been having the best conversations around that table. The grandkids are getting older and they have started joining in sharing insights about the world we live in. When I leave that table, I think “Good Times. Good Times.” I have an instant shopping partner with my sister and usually a movie and dinner date as well. That may not be a blessing to my wallet, but we always have a great time. Then there is the blessing of second chances. Hubby. Hubby spoils me rotten. He loves me, faults and all. He listens to me when I have had a bad day. He laughs with me. He cooks for me. And for himself when I am out with my shopping partner. He’s not afraid to have sandwiches for dinner. Twice a week. Blessings of family. They are priceless.

My friends. People have many different types of friends. I am no exception. Friends that I see on a regular basis. Friends that I work with. Childhood friends that I can pick up with where we left off when I run into them at Homecoming or at Walmart. Couple friends that we make dates with when we need a night on the town and adult conversation. And for me, I have a FF. Forever Friend. She’s 3 hours away, but if I ever needed her, she would be here in 2 hours 45 minutes. No questions asked. You might have an FF too. In fact, I hope you do. FF’s are the friends that know you. The core of you. They know the facts that you don’t want in your obituary and will make sure they don’t give you a Sally Field football helmet hairdo at your funeral (Steel Magnolia reference in case you are lost). I reached out to my FF this week begging her to tell me something great. I felt like each day this week I was getting darker and darker with the trials and tribulations of people around me. I needed to be lifted up. In true FF fashion, she immediately replied with a song. This is what she sent…

Take my hand and walk with me a while
Cause it seems your smile has left you
And don't give in, when you fall apart
And your broken heart has failed youI'll set a light up
On a hilltop
To show you my love
For this world to see
You can borrow mine
When your hope is gone
Borrow mine
When you can't go on
'Cause the world will not defeat you
When we're side by side
When your faith is hard to find
You can borrow mine
Take my love when all that you can see
Is the raging sea all around us
And don't give up 'cause I'm not letting go
And the God we know will not fail us
We'll lay it all down
As we call out
Sweet Savior help our unbelief
You can borrow mine
When your hope is gone
Borrow mine
When you can't go on
'Cause the world will not defeat you
When we're side by side
When your faith is hard to find
You can borrow mine
When you are weak
Unable to speak
You are not alone
The God who has saved us
Will never forsake us
He's coming to take us
Take us to our home
You can borrow mine
When your hope is gone
Borrow mine
When you can't go on
'Cause the world will not defeat you
When we're side by side
When your faith is hard to find
When your faith is hard to find
You can borrow mine
Take my hand
Take my love
Don't give in
Don't give up

I haven’t always been the best of friend to people in my life and I know that I have hurt people and wished a million times that I had a do-over. But I would like to think that if you needed a friend, I would be there for you.

Thanks to my Sister for sharing her date night with her youngest son and meeting me and Boy for dinner last night. Thanks to my FF for rescuing me with a song. These were my “mercy-drops” this week.





2 comments:

  1. And you have a far away friend that is always hear if you need to talk, vent, cry, yell, scream, or laugh. ANYTIME!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Song!! Oh how I neeeded that...perfect timing. So feel like giving up...but must not give in or give up!! Thank you AMY

    ReplyDelete