Monday, February 25, 2013

facebook; the good, the bad, the ridiculist (borrowed from Anderson Cooper)




Lately I have been wondering if facebook has run its course in providing entertainment, information and a way of keeping in touch.  If I deleted the people that I have no “real” connection with, I would probably be left with about 20 people on my “friend” list.   When you think about it, it’s a socially acceptable way of being nosy and voyeuristic into other peoples’ lives.  And what is the point of that? What benefit does it provide?  How does that enhance my existence on this earth?   I publicly stated a few weeks back that I was de-friended.  No sweat off my back.  She obviously didn’t like my point of view on NFL players and I really didn’t like her point of view that lying about attending my Dad’s memorial service was appropriate “friend” behavior.  C’est la vie. (PS- she not only unfriended me, she left facebook for a while, which is her usual M.O., and now she’s back, but has blocked me.  Wow, who knew my opinions were so powerfully offensive)!
Maybe we should come up with “facebook friend contracts” to make sure we are all on the same page when it comes to how we use facebook.  Or maybe a pledge we all post.  Here, I’ll start:

Things I promise NOT to do on facebook:
1.    I promise NOT to post more than one “duck face, self portrait” a week.  (I’ll post those on instagram – LOL)
2.    I promise NOT to use a picture of my boobs in a t-shirt as my cover photo.  (Ain’t nobody got time for that. Wait, she had time for that.  That explains some things)
3.    I promise NOT to defriend you because you state an opinion that I do not share.  In fact, I welcome your diverse opinions.  We don’t have to be the same political party, faith or share the same views on the economy, gun control or thugs in the NFL to be friends. 
4.    I promise NOT to defriend you because you “Share” everything.  And I don’t mean share details about your life.  Bring that stuff on.  I’m nosy.  I mean “Share” all of those e-cards and ‘One Like = you’re going to heaven’ and pictures of people missing and critically ill babies in hospital beds.  If I can be your friend through all of those ridiculous posts, then I should be added to your Christmas list. And if you don’t celebrate Christmas then sending me a birthday gift will be just fine.

Things I promise TO do on facebook:
1.    I promise TO post a million pics of my kid’s tennis season and my nephew’s baseball season.  They bring me joy.
2.    I promise TO state my opinion on a variety of topics, early and often (Chicago history buffs will get that). 
3.    I promise TO start hitting you up to be a part of our Relay Team or to support us through your prayers.  I have tried really hard to cancel my participation, because nobody wants to have to go change your registration from “In Honor of” to “In Memory of”.  But something is stopping me from quitting.  Mostly my awesome sister, who is my rock.  And the fact that Dad wouldn’t want us to quit.  He’ll be there with us.  So be prepared if you are in my area.  Join our team!  I will post the link later this week (early and often).


1 comment:

  1. People are nuts!! I was unfriended after the election because I expressed my unhappiness about the results and how I wouldn't suck it up. I've known her since she was 6. She blocked me, too. Kinda makes me smile...

    ReplyDelete