Recognize that phrase from the title? If not, you can locate it in the "Declaration of Independence". The complete phrase is "To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world." It's the phrase that appears right before what I like to call the "He did" portion of the "Declaration". You see, when the colonists/founding fathers reached their max boiling point with King George III and he refused any of their attempts at working things out, they drafted the Declaration. If you have never read the entire text of the Declaration of Independence, I suggest you do so. It won't take long and it is pretty interesting. You see, they didn't just decide to break away from Great Britain and go their own way like petulant children who took their toys to a new sand box. They thoughtfully and carefully took actions at reconciliation and then decided it was in their best interest to "break up" and they listed those reasons in the Declaration. I actually use the "boyfriend/girlfriend" analogy with my students. If you are a jerk, you just break up. If you are a mature young person you explain your actions so that the person on the other end of the break-up isn't left wondering where things went wrong. That's what ol' TJeff did. He listed out, very clearly, all of the actions by KGIII that led to the break-up. And the list is long. About 27 "He did"'s if I remember correctly. Some little. Some big. But they all validate the need for the "break up".
Some people might say that you shouldn't "judge" someone like that; you shouldn't list out their past trangressions. I am sure that TJeff might have exaggerated on some of the points, but not much. There seems to be proof to back up what KGIII was being accused of. I understand that nobody is perfect, but sometimes you need to be called out on your actions. As long as facts are being used.
I wonder how TJeff and BFrank and JAddizzle would have handled it if they had had access to facebook or twitter while composing the document. Would they post their list of "He did"s only to have their "friends" post they were too harsh and that KGIII shouldn't be held accountable or judged by his actions? Or that the transgressions were in the past and maybe KGIII had turned over a new leaf and was going to become an upstanding leader and start listening to the colonists and treating them fairly? Oh I am a firm believer that liars, cheaters and thieves can repent and start over. But I also believe that if the facts are indeed factual, TJeff had every right to compose the list of "He did"s. And that doens't make him "judgmental". It makes him informed, able to state his opinion backed by true and accurate information. And when you choose to live your life in the spotlight (like KGIII), you are subject to people stating the facts; the good and the bad.
And people like TJeff and BFrank have every right to "let facts be submitted to a candid world..."
No comments:
Post a Comment