God’s Playlist…
Last Friday began a journey that no one in our family was prepared to take. For a while now, my Dad’s health has been declining. We have been keeping watch, encouraging him to eat more, go for walks and try to regain some strength. He ordered an exercise bike last week. I made a deal with him that when he could walk on the treadmill for a mile and bike for 30 minutes I would take him and Mom to the Hill Country for a little vacation. That deal is still very much in place. Back to the journey… Sunday, October 30 was a turning point. Dad seemed to have all the signs of a stroke. He had an appointment with the doctor to set a surgery date on Wednesday. Thursday was an appointment with his primary doctor to check out the other symptoms that continued to concern us. That led us to a cardiologist, which led us back to Dad’s primary care, which led us to an MRI, which led to the emergency room, the 6th floor, surgical waiting room, Neuro ICU, and currently the 5th floor. Quite the journey.
We have been down this road before. Dad was diagnosed in 2006 with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. During that phase of our life, our family witnessed a miracle. After one chemo treatment, Dad suffered a strangulated hernia. While normally that would be an easy repair, if you suffer this after one round of chemo, your body has no defense mechanism against infection. A miracle was the only way out. We believed and received. Dad made it through surgery, and he made it through 5 more chemo treatments into remission. Our faith was strengthened.
Journey’s like these don’t come without your moments of doubt and worry and fear. It’s human nature. On Dad’s first journey, my sister was driving to the hospital and came upon a van with a bright colored poster board which was duct taped to the outside with the message “Prayer Works”. This “sign” came at a time when fear and worry had taken over. After sharing that encounter with the family, we claimed it and believed it. 3 days ago, Julie was out in the waiting room taking some phone calls from family members and was unable to sit still. A cleaning crew member who was vacuuming around her noticed her uneasiness and came and spoke to her. His name was LaVon and this is what he said “when I get anxious my God tells me to be still, don’t worry, I am here and ALL things are possible.” As he turned to go he looked back and told me “not to worry…that HE has got this…HE’s Got this!”
That feeling of peace had eluded me and so I began to claim what Julie was feeling for myself. I was struggling to let go of the worry and I wasn’t “hearing” anything from God. The next morning when I got in my car to go home, shower and head to work I began pleading for the same kind of peace. I asked God to give me a “sign”. My FF and I have shared songs and lyrics several times, using them to encourage one another and to lift each other up. We call it God’s playlist. I recalled her saying that one day she needed a word from the Lord, turned on her iPod and hit shuffle and waited for God to speak. I was already about 2 songs in when I decided to ask God to send me his playlist. I picked up my phone and hit shuffle. This is what God sent…
Song 1: These Are the Words I Would Say (Sidewalk Prophets)
Be strong in the Lord
And never give up hope
You're gonna do great things
I already know
God's got His hand on You
So don't live life in fear
Forgive and forget
But don't forget why you're here
Take your time and pray
These are the words I would say
And never give up hope
You're gonna do great things
I already know
God's got His hand on You
So don't live life in fear
Forgive and forget
But don't forget why you're here
Take your time and pray
These are the words I would say
**My FF had sent these same words to me the day before and it is no mistake that God used them as the first song to get my attention.
Song 2: Listen to the Sound (Building 429)
Are you in over your head
Are you in water so deep you're drowning
Do you think you've been left
And there is no one to feel your hurting
Well, everybody has been there
And everybody's felt lost
If you're in over your head
Lift it up, lift it up
Oh, listen to the sound of hope that's rising
Up over your horizon
Listen to the sound, listen to the sound
And listen to the sound of a new beginning
Oh, this is where the old is ending
Listen to the sound, listen to the sound
Song 3: Move (Mercy Me)
Are you in water so deep you're drowning
Do you think you've been left
And there is no one to feel your hurting
Well, everybody has been there
And everybody's felt lost
If you're in over your head
Lift it up, lift it up
Oh, listen to the sound of hope that's rising
Up over your horizon
Listen to the sound, listen to the sound
And listen to the sound of a new beginning
Oh, this is where the old is ending
Listen to the sound, listen to the sound
Song 3: Move (Mercy Me)
I’m not about to give up
Because I’ve heard You say
There's gonna be brighter days
There's gonna be brighter days
I won’t stop I’ll keep my head up
No I’m not here to stay
There’s gonna be brighter days
There's gonna be brighter days
My Dad is still in room 585 awaiting the results of a biopsy on his brain. We believe in miracles. We are claiming another miracle. We believe there’s gonna be brighter days. Like a little trip to the Hill Country.
Because I’ve heard You say
There's gonna be brighter days
There's gonna be brighter days
I won’t stop I’ll keep my head up
No I’m not here to stay
There’s gonna be brighter days
There's gonna be brighter days
My Dad is still in room 585 awaiting the results of a biopsy on his brain. We believe in miracles. We are claiming another miracle. We believe there’s gonna be brighter days. Like a little trip to the Hill Country.
Edit: After writing this entry, Dad was discharged and is now home. He has an appointment with his oncologist tomorrow. We are ready for the next phase of this Miracle Journey.
Oh amy that was no mistake at all.God is so gracious with just the right thing at just the right time. 6 months ago i was on my way to my ob appt. to find out if i had uteran cancer or other female issues. My daughter is 14 and being a single mom she was all i could think about. I turned on the radio and the song "Thats what faith can do"by kutlass came on. I just started crying and crying because God gently reminded me again that he is never far away especially in times when we need him most. My results came back as minor problems that will need surgery but no cancer was found. Thats just what our God does. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am crying and crying and crying....
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing.
I get so overwhelmed and frustrated and controlling, in overwhelming times such as these that I forget to be still and listen.
I am praying for you Amy Lou and you dad and mom and sister. <3
God speaks to me mainly in song. He knows I'll listen to that faster than I'll listen to a voice speaking to me. Amazes me that God knowa exactly what we need to hear.
ReplyDeletePrayers are being said for your family. We lift you all up to God's grace and favor.